No announcement yet.

Guitar Hero Drums as MIDI instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jordan, I think this is a very good tip.

For you information, I initially thought the internal event messaging was flooded by the amount of informations the Wiimote is sending. I wrote a simple test program that sends simultaneous events at a regular interval and also a torrent of "garbage" events. The good news is that OSCulator processes and fire the events quite precisely, even under a heavy load.

This means the problem lies in the Wiimote driver. So I checked the documentation for the Wii Drums and found there was a possibility that, if a pad was hit two times very quickly, the note would not be set to off before the next one.

I will check the driver and see what fix can be made.

Comment

Hey Camille,

I found this youtube video of a guy talking about a double tap problem with the guitar hero drum set. With the updated version of your program this is the same problem I'm having now. I can't quite understand him, he's either saying that instead of note on and note offs, the set just sends two note ons, or that it sends a note on for one pad but also for all the other pads. I'm not sure, but the behavior I'm having with your program now is exactly the same as in the video. He wrote a MIDI filter program to filter the double hits out:

This video shows how to use GH Drum Midi Filter to avoid double hit problems while playing Guitar Hero World Tour with a Midi E-Drum.You can download this so...

Comment

Hi Jordan,

This video gives us an important clue on why we are having a problem.

It seems the Wii Drums are not designed to work as a note-on/note-off controller, just like a regular MIDI drum kit.

In my previous post, in the paragraph before the last one, I said that I was feeling that there was a possibility that a note-on and note-off events could be "garbaged", and it seems this video is confirming that Guitar Hero designer chose to send ONLY note-ON messages, which is a bit annoying since a MIDI note is made of ON and OFF messages.

I am still believing there is a way to make the Wii Drums work as expected, but I still need to find a kit on which to try. I will eventually buy one new next week, since there are none on ebay, at least for delivery in Europe.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hi Jordan,

Just a quick message to let you know that I have bought a Wii Drum Kit (and the Guitar as well). I'll work on fixing the drums this week.

Cam

Comment

just throwing it out there since the drums are not designed to send off commands, and since the notes arent sustained it might be possible to just tell osculator to auto send an off command after x seconds, letting the wiimote just send on for each pad. just a quick thought.

Comment

Hi everybody,

I have fixed the problems with the Wii Drums and Guitar (there was a problem with the notes being stuck on or off).

I would love to have some testers to see if everything is fixed before releasing a new version.

Please tell me by email (camille at osculator dot net) if you are interested.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Dear users,

Thanks for your feedback, the beta session is now closed.

I will be reviewing your feedback and release a new version in a couple of days.

Cam

Comment

Hey Cam, hey all,

OSCulator works great for the GH drums now! I made this video using OSCulator for the world tour drums and JunXion for the rock band drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZT5v5HGQa0

Thanks!

Jordan

Comment

WOW, that IS impressive !!!

Great drum samples and playing here !

I did not even know it was working like that …

Thanks Jordan.

Comment

Has anyone gotten this working with Garage Band? I am having trouble with getting the midi signal to be seen by Garage Band.

Comment

robert_cal, didn't spot this topic so accidently started a new one. This might help you:

http://www.osculator.net/bp/topic/240

Comment

This was great. Thanks, Robert

Comment

I am a bit confused now. Is the new wireless Wii Band Hero drum set different?

Is it working with Osculator to transform it's signals to MIDI with a reasonable latency?

Comment

As long as it is wireless it should be ok:

check out this post about Band Hero drums (working ok) : http://www.osculator.net/forum/topic/206#post-1191

cheers,

cam

Comment

Hi Guys,
                                Just taking this thread one step further.. The Band Hero kit works great through Garage Band. However, I installed the fantastic 'Boldt 24-Pack Vol III' software pack for Garage Band which has some nice drum samples but I can't get the samples to sustain in the same way you can with the native GarageBand 'Rock' kit - or if you 'long press' the keyboard.

This obviously sounds weird when your crash cymbal cuts short! Does anyone have any idea if I can amend my Osculator settings (or even Garage Band for that matter) to resolve the issue?

Boldt 24-Pack:

I
                                Originally posted by camille View Post
                                As long as it is wireless it should be ok:

check out this post about Band Hero drums (working ok) : http://www.osculator.net/forum/topic/206#post-1191

cheers,

cam
                                Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                X