Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI Note w/ Params

Hi,

I do not understand how MIDI Note with Params work. I have a simple OSC message that looks something like this :

/test/1/noteOn note velocity

From that, I want to generate a MIDI noteon message with the following attributes :
    • Channel 1 (from the url part)
    • Note number (param 0)
    • Velocity (param 1)

I tried various combinations of mappings in the interface but I still do not get it. Why can't I assign the MIDI Note w/ Params setting to the message instead of the first parameter ? Do I need to create an extra parameter at position 0 just to be able to assign the Event Type ?

Please help...

Hi JP,

First or all, a quick question: do you have any control on the OSC message you are describing (/test/1/noteOn)?

If the answer is yes, I would suggest you rather remove the /noteOn part of the address, and add a third parameter that would represent the state of the note (on or off). MIDI Note w/ Params will then be very easy to use.

If you have no control over this message, you will have to do some clever OSC message rewriting in order to adapt the message to the way OSCulator currently works.

In every case, there is unfortunately no practical way to parse the message address in order to deduce the MIDI channel, which adds a bit of complexity.

Please let me know about the degree of flexibility you have on this message, and I will come back with a more complete answer.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Camille,

Thanks for your fast answer. As I do have full control, I changed the message to accomodate OSCulator. Intuitively I didn't think this is how it was working. I now have a message that looks like this and it works fine :

/test/1/note 1 60 100 (for noteon)
      /test/1/note 0 60 100 (for noteoff)

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Great to know it is working.
        May I suggest something more?

You should put the trigger argument at the last position.
        The reason is that the note parameters should be notified before the note is actually triggered.

Also, since you are using an integer number to describe the pitch of the note, you should adjust the notes ranges to 0-127. This can be changed in the last tab of the Parameters window. (maybe you have already done that)

I hope it makes sense.

Best,
        Cam

Comment

It makes a lot of sense. I'll change it. Maybe this is the cause of my note off's note firing... I'll try.

Comment

Working...
          X