Traktor modifiers or enable in osculator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traktor modifiers or enable in osculator

Hello dear Osculator users, My name is Johannes Drakenberg and i work as a full time artist, For me. Osculator has changed the way i interact with music in many different ways, it allows me to be more free.

I Currently run a quite wide array of controllers while performing.

1 Ipad (osculator)
    2 Wii motes (osculator)
    1 Iphone (Osculator)
    1 kontrol x1
    1 Griffin Powermate (osculator)
    1 Faderfox lv2

My question is:

Is it better for me to make all my units work through the Modifiers in traktor, or would it better to look at some option in Osculator? I know traktors midi mapping functions inside out, but with osculator i can only say i know a little bit more than the basics (I never tried to learn as i knew traktor so well)
    Also, does my wii motes constantly sending about 20 different signals slow down anything?

Super simple example:
    Lets say this is my iphone layout
    1 fader = controls volume
    4 buttons = 1,2,3,4 each assigns which decks volume will be controled by the fader

In traktor as i press button 1 Mod1 goes from 0 to 1 And as i pull the fader with mod1=1 the fader now controls the volume of deck 1 if i would press 3 and 4 as well, the fader would control both 1, 3 and 4 at the same time

Now an example i assume osculator would be able to work the way i want
    Same thing as above, but now when i press button 1, it changes the faders value to cc2/1 from cc1/1, rendering it possible to control deck 1's volume where as cc1/1 would not control the volume in traktor, cc2/1 would be the only command for volume control on deck 1

I would also need to make sure that the led i assigned to the button lights up as i've pressed it indicating deck 1 is now being altered.

What draws less cpu, ram etc as well as speeds up the process between these two? Modifiers in traktor or variables, presets etc in osculator

Oh and i notice delay in my wii motes, Is this unavoidable or would a dongle or anything like that improve my results? I currently use my macbooks internal bluetooth for them both!

Thank you in advance!

All the best
    /Johannes Drakenberg
    Last edited by Drakenberg; 08-15-2011, 03:57 AM.
    Johannes Drakenberg - Artist
    - Facebook - Soundcloud - Tour Dates - Youtube -

Hi Johannes,

I would recommend that you leave the most configuration in Traktor if this is the software you know the most. Traktor's MIDI mapping is very flexible. Also, keeping OSCulator's document small and tidy will help you sort out all the messages, and considered all the controllers you use, you don't want the file to become too complex.

The Wiimote only send the acceleration values constantly, but the buttons are not. This means that you only have a few MIDI messages going to Traktor constantly. Depending on your computer the impact should be more or less noticeable. Do you feel that it is slowing down your computer? If yes, is this a problem during performance?

It's difficult for me to answer your question about Modifiers. I don't really know how they work, but I would bet that either solution you describe draw the same amount of computing. Once again, my preference would go to implementing Modifiers in Traktor instead of variables and presets in OSCulator as they are more adapted to your final task.

When you say that you notice some delay when using the Wiimotes, is it when you press a button or when you use the attitude angles (accelerometers). Smoothing the accelerometers induces some latency, so if you set the smoothing to 0 you should not feel anymore delay. If you can feel some latency when pressing a button, it would be interesting to have a look at a Quick Look graph of the button message and see if it reacts instantly (it should). It may be possible that Traktor is overloaded because of accelerometer messages, something you can tell by having a look at the CPU meter in Traktor.

IMHO, changing the dongle would not enhance the latency.

Finally, if you want me to try your mappings on Traktor with two Wiimote, don't hesitate to share some files with me. My email address is camille at osculator dot net.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Working...
    X