Osculator as Iannix Translator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osculator as Iannix Translator?

Hi, I am looking for options to use on a single computer and no external hardware the 'Iannix' OSC software:

Does it make sense to use Osculator as a translator from Iannix to MIDI via IAC/Virtual ports to standalone synths, all running live on a single computer (so no external controllers at all)? Can a inter-app software link even be made as I have had no luck so far but have no previous experience with OSC set-ups. I looked through documentation and forum but nothing seemed to pertain to hooking up one piece of software running on the same computer as Osculator to Osculator then send MIDI out to standalone synths also on same computer, etc.

Thanks in advance (will purchase if this is indeed a possible application ;-))

Hi Loopy,

I would suggest you make some experimentations with Iannix and OSCulator, and see if it fits your need.
    You can indeed ask as many questions as you like on this forum, I'll be happy to answer.

I have used Iannix and OSCulator a few years ago with a Kyma workstation and had great results. It seems however that Iannix supports MIDI output, so I'm not sure if you really need OSCulator. OSCulator can be used as a nice routing front-end though, maybe more intuitive than Iannix.

About connecting Iannix to OSCulator:

Open OSCulator, and set the OSC Input Port to 57120.
    When you play a timeline in Iannix, it will send messages to OSCulator.

About MIDI and OSCulator:

OSCulator publishes two MIDI ports that can be used directly for inter-app communication: "OSCulator In" and OSCulator Out". In other applications, like Logic or Live, you will see "OSCulator Out" as the MIDI output of OSCulator going into the other application, and "OSCulator In" the MIDI input to OSCulator, going out from the other application.

Nowadays you should not need to use the IAC driver, it is there in Mac OS X to work with old applications. Should you need it anyway, you can use it like any "physical" MIDI interface (see next paragraph).

If you need to receive or send MIDI from or to physical MIDI ports (like a USB-MIDI interface connected to your computer), you can select the relevant ports by going in the Parameters Window (Command-Option-P) and going in the I/O pane. If you select several MIDI ports on input, the incoming messages will be merged. If you select several MIDI ports on output, the messages will be sent to every selected ports.

One more advice on Iannix:

If you run the examples, you will notice that OSCulator receives messages like /cursor with several arguments.
    The first argument is a number, acting as a key to identify the current cursor.
    If you want to "extract" the actual coordinates from all the cursors, you will need to display the /cursor message based on the value of the first argument. This is called "demultiplexing" or in short "demux". You can do that easily by selecting the first argument of the /cursor message, and choose Edit->Demux (or hit Control-D). Next time OSCulator receives a /cursor message, it will show the value of the first argument as a parent key, and the other arguments' values as child arguments.

This works also with the /transport message whose first argument is a string containing the words "play" or "stop".

Attached is an empty template I created using the above described technique.

Best,
    Camille
    Attached Files
    Last edited by camille; 08-18-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Big thanks Camille!

"OSCulator can be used as a nice routing front-end though, maybe more intuitive than Iannix."

Yes, this is what I was looking for as Iannix is still very OSC-centric and I found even making basic changes to be tedious in it's interface, Osculator is indeed a good front end for quick experimentation of settings so far.

As I assess a bit more before a final purchase, two initial questions:

-How did you determine the port# (57120)?

-Under '/trigger' there are four triggers, '0,1,2,3'...what is determining this number of triggers? if I want more triggers is that something user-created in Osculator such that I can define a larger note palette for instance? I tried 'command D' on the triggers but that just seems to duplicate the event (triggering the same time). Obviously I am not understanding where and what determined the number of triggers as it seems the Iannix examples are using many more than the 4 I initially get in Osculator (and in your template).

Again, big thanks in advance, certainly very close to a purchase now
      Last edited by Loopy C; 08-18-2011, 09:33 PM.

Comment

OK, I see where the port number comes from (had to get on a bigger monitor ;-)) And, after having the triggers disappear from your template then get them back then it is some sort of reporting and pairing that goes on to determine these? Still not sure why four unique triggers in Osculator when one of the many examples in Iannix seem to have hundreds, each with it's own 'ID'?

UPDATE: OK, must not have been selecting the right thing to demux...looks like I just got all those triggers...need to backtrace as I thought I had tried that before, apparently not!

Oh and...payment sent
        Last edited by Loopy C; 08-19-2011, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Hey Loopy C,

Sorry for the delay answering.
          First of all, thank you very much for your purchase, it is much appreciated!

Now that you understood experimentally the logic behind OSC messages, I would suggest that you have a look at the first chapter in the new OSCulator's user manual, located here (until it is finished). I think it will give you a much better overview of how it works. Please know that there is pairing or syncing happening: on one network port, OSC messages are sent in only one direction.

Best Regards,
          Camille

Comment

Thanks Camille...I LOVE documentation and am still most likely missing some key elements in understanding the larger picture as some of the things I did earlier didn't work later so certain combinations of settings are likely what I need to get under my belt so look forward to the read

btw, I should mention I own a Kyma Paca so Osculator should prove to be a great benefit when I am ready to tackle it's unique challenges again (have to get a new audio interface first though).

Comment

Kyma is a wonderful audio workstation ... one of a kind!
              If you need a robust and fairly good sounding audio interface that works well with the Paca and sturdy enough to be used on stage I would recommend the MOTU Ultralite mk3.

Comment

I have been going back and forth between it and the Mackie 1220i w/Firewire (approved for Paca). I love the convenience of a 'regular' mixer paradigm...especially given I have owned Mackies since the late 80's! I sold my Apogee Duet because I just wanted more of a mixer interface on my desk as opposed to racks or breakouts but would love to hear any personal 'Pros' on the MOTU while I am still deciding ;-)

Comment

Hi Loopy,

If you would like to have a real mixer, then the Mackie can't be beaten.
                  The advantages of the MOTU is that it is a rugged, portable and good sounding interface. It has an integrated DSP, which — I must admit — I don't use very often. The virtual mixer application (CueMix) is well made, but a little hard to interface with external gear.

If portability is not required and that you don't alreay own a mixer, I would choose the Mackie as it would definitely help working with Kyma when you have to mix several sound sources...

Cam

Comment

Working...
                  X