Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• midi clock via osculator

Hello all

is it possible to route midi clock ie Cubase ->osculator ->device while still using interpreted midi?

I searched the forum and the manual without any luck

Thanks

rafe

I make the assumption on your previous message that the device you would like to control is Kyma (Pacarana).
    So, if you are trying to send MIDI Clock information to Kyma, the only reliable way to do this is to use the Raw MIDI mode and route the /midi/raw/osc-in OSC message to the Pacarana.

Comment

thanks for the quick reply Cam. yes trying to get the midi clock to the paca but i haven't got the raw midi messages working in kyma. hmm Is it possible to do it with the network device in audio midi setup? I've been reading its possible but the paca won't respond to the network "poll" when i attempted that method.

do you have any tips on the subject? If you are busy don't sweat it as i posted on the kyma forum.

cheers

rafe

Comment

No, I don't think the Paca supports the Network MIDI driver.
        How far have you gotten regarding the configuration of the Raw MIDI routing to Kyma?

Comment

not far. once i followed your instructions from the previous post the interpretted midi data worked as expected so I did a few tests but I had what I needed working and left it be. I've got to leave my desk for a while so Ill look into it later tonight. The midi clock is not mission critical today but it's a feature i use regularly.

ty

rafe

Comment

got it sorted thanks Cam. It was super straight forward. Thanks.

Comment

Awesome! FYI, remember that you can select Osculator's MIDI inputs from the Parameters Window. Any MIDI port that is selected will merged into what you send to Kyma.

Comment

Hello Cam

I had the raw midi working just fine and saved the document in Osculator but now when i reopen the document the raw midi data flashes red - indicating its not getting routed to the paca/ kyma. I opened another document with the interpretted midi data and it works as expected and i have tried creating a new document with the midi raw data without success. When i get to the routing page the paca is not listed in the pull down menu od the new document if i try to manually type in the name beslime-XXX i get an error message. Which would mean osculator is not seeing the paca- correct?

I have tried shuttting down both kyma and osculator and opening them up in different orders but no luck. also the osculator document which uses the interpretted midi data works fine. it sees the paca and if i inspect the list of devices in the routing page the paca is there, which is true of the original raw midi document.

Any ideas? BTW i had a bit of trouble getting kyma to see the paca today too. FWIW it took me a couple of start ups before the software would see the hardware. I have the paca connected to the internal fw 800 buss of the mac and a tc impact connected to the paca's extra port. i have reread the ssc intructions and your post here and i dont think i have missed anything

thanks

rafe

macbook pro 10.5.8
                kyma 6.81f1

cubase 4.52

Comment

Hi Rafe,

I think there is a network problem here.
                  If you don't see your Paca, or if the device is red in the list of OSC targets, it means that it is not on the network. Device discovery is pretty robust, this is why I think the problem is somewhere in the network configuration.

Ar eyou by any chance using two network interface at once?
                  For example WiFi for internet and Ethernet for the Paca?
                  What OS version are you running?

Try shutting down WiFi to see if it solves the problem.
                  If it does, then I think I recall a trick where you need to run Internet Sharing, I'll tell you more after I know a little bit more about your problem.

Best,
                  Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
                    Ar eyou by any chance using two network interface at once?
                    For example WiFi for internet and Ethernet for the Paca?
                    What OS version are you running?

Try shutting down WiFi to see if it solves the problem.
                    If it does, then I think I recall a trick where you need to run Internet Sharing, I'll tell you more after I know a little bit more about your problem.

Best,
                    Cam
                    yes that is exactly my network configuration. I will follow your instructions and get back to you.
                    Leopard 10.5.8 latest

thanks

Comment

shutting down the wifi seems to have no effect. but the old documents that run midi interpretted and show the paca ID in the document in red, still route midi to Kyma, no matter if wifi is on or off. And with wifi on or off the documents that were set up to run midi raw will not connect to kyma/paca.

Comment

Can you send me your OSCulator documents so I understand how things are set up?
                        camille at osculator dot net.
                        Thanks rafe!

Comment

Hello Cam

this is just a follow up to say the problem is solved and thanks for your extra time and effort. I had two bad ethernet cables ... sorry i should have suspected that earlier in the trouble shooting process. my bad ... i feel shame!!

Comment

Ethernet cables fail more often than we imagine!
                            Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Working...
                            X