Note On/ Note Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Note On/ Note Off

So this is my issue. I need Osculator to perform 2 or more commands on one line. For instance... On my lighting board I have a blackout button. When I press the black out button this is the values that it sends to my software.

How do I transfer this information into Osculator so that when i press the blackout button on Touch OSC it blackouts through Osculator. Thank you for your help. Also I am still pretty new and fumbling my way through this so if you can break it down step by step as much as possible that would be great.
    Last edited by jarrellp; 11-03-2011, 05:42 AM.

Hi Jarell,

There are several things to consider, here's the big picture:
    • Because TouchOSC sends two events when pushing and releasing a button, you may want to only perform these events once. I would do that when the button is depressed because it feels more precise in terms of timing.
    • To trigger several events at once, you must use the Duplicate command.
    • Osculator makes it simple for simple tasks, but there is a little more configuration overhead for other tasks. In order to precisely have the MIDI commands you want, you will need to set the velocity to specific values.
    Given this, here is how we can do that:

Say that you have a button in TouchOSC named /1/push1.

First, we want to trigger the events when the button is depressed, that is, when its value becomes 0.

Register the button message (by pressing it) in Osculator, and select it. Now, choose Demux in the Edit menu (or Control-D), and in TouchOSC press the button again. This will show the /1/push1 message in a purple color with two sub-message 0 and 1. You will notice that 1 is activated when the button is pressed, and 0 when the button is released. We will focus on that sub-message.

Select the /1/push1 -> 0 sub-message, and duplicate it by choosing Duplicate in the Edit menu (or Command-D). Select a duplicate and duplicate it again so you have 5 slots that is 0, 0>0, 0>1, 0>2 and 0>3. When the button is released they will all be triggered at once.

Assign the following events to each duplicate:
    • MIDI Note / Channel Velocity
    • MIDI Note / E0
    • MIDI Note / F5
    • MIDI Note / Channel Velocity
    • MIDI Note / F5
    The first Channel Velocity event will be used to force the velocity to 127. The second one will be used to set it to 0, and described in your MIDI commands. All the MIDI Notes must be Note On, expect the last which is a Note Off. We will take care of this now.

Switch to the Scalings Page. Choose "Flip to Scalings Page" in the View menu (or Command-F).
    • First Channel Velocity must be 127. For this, set both Output Min and Output Max to 127.
    • E0 and F5 must be Note On: set Output Min and Max to 1.
    • Second Channel Velocity must be 0: set Output Min and Max to 0.
    • Last note must be a Note Off: set Output Min and Max to 0.
    Attached is a document configured with the previous instructions.

Best Regards,
    Camille
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    X