Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TouchOSC --> OSCulator connection problem

Hello Cam

I am having a problem setting up TouchOSC (version 1.8) to work with OSCulator (version 2.9.6.1) on my Mac Powerbook (PPC) running OS X 10.5.8. This used to work previously (two years ago) so thing(s) have changed in the updates.

After starting OSCulator and then TouchOSC on my third generation iPodTouch (iOS 4.2.1) and setting up the network ports on both the iTouch and the Powerbook, if I move a fader in TouchOSC I am not able to create a new entry in OSCulator.

Please help.
    S

Hi Synth Hero,

OSCulator 2.9.6.1 has been last updated in April 2010, so I think this is not a problem with this version.
    I have the feeling that TouchOSC is trying to send OSC message that have a space character in the address part, which is invalid by the standard, but unfortunately allowed in TouchOSC Editor. Could you please check that none of your controls or pages have a space in their name ?

Best Regards,
    Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post

OSCulator 2.9.6.1 has been last updated in April 2010, so I think this is not a problem with this version.
      I have the feeling that TouchOSC is trying to send OSC message that have a space character in the address part, which is invalid by the standard, but unfortunately allowed in TouchOSC Editor. Could you please check that none of your controls or pages have a space in their name ?
      B'jour Cam

I entered the IP address xx.x.x.x in the "Host" part of the OSC window and a "Found Hosts (1)" appears. However, the "Local IP address" part xx.x.x.x" is grayed out. Is this normal ?

Back to the TouchOSC window: MIDI Bridge: Disabled is grayed out. This seems right since I am using OSCulator in place of MIDI Bridge. Also, I am not using a MIDI Mobilizer.

Now, if I go back to the "OSC" window by clicking on "OSC:xx.x.x.x" the "Found Hosts (1)" has disappeared.

(I had made a control surface template for Native Instruments' Kore Player which used to work . . . but not anymore :-( )

I hope following the steps above you may be able to reproduce the problem and debug.

A+
      S
      Last edited by camille; 01-19-2012, 10:19 AM. Reason: fixed bbcode

Comment

Hello !

I'm sorry I did not understand that you were mentionning a problem specific to TouchOSC.

It's ok to give help on that matter, but you have to realize that I don't maintain this software, therefore I am not in control of what happens with the updates (please see http://www.osculator.net/forum/threa...ease-read-this!!!)

I just tried with an empty OSCulator document and TouchOSC 1.8 with the layout Beatmachine. There was no problem to find the published host "mycomputer:8000 (OSCulator)" in the OSC panel.

Changing the setting of the MIDI Bridge in TouchOSC should not affect how it sends data to OSCulator.
        Also, I would refrain you to use IP addresses, it is more complicated to configure and more prone to doing errors.

When you say that the "found host" has disappeared, It reminds me of an old problem with Bonjour on 10.5.x systems. Perhaps you should try to configure TouchOSC with your iPhone/iPad and computer freshly rebooted.

If that still does not work, have a look at how both the computer and the mobile device are connected to the Wifi network. Is this a computer-to-computer network created on your computer ? (as it is recommended for using TouchOSC). Or is it using a router ? Is there a firewall. In fact you need to isolate what has changed between the time your configuration was working and now.

Best,
        Cam

Comment

IMG_0008_1.pngI am enclosing a screenshot of my template

Okay, I just verified that MIDI input in Kore Player is "OSCulator out" while MIDI out is "OSCulator in (8000)".

If I move one of the rotary on the TouchOSC template the green MIDI activity LED flashes but the red? one below it does not. So as you might guess moving a rotary knob on TouchOSC does not cause the respective knob in Kore Player to move.

On the positive side, if I move the knob in TouchOSC, an orange light flashes in OSCulator.

Maybe, OSCulator is not communicating with Kore Player ?

S.

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
            Hello !

I'm sorry I did not understand that you were mentionning a problem specific to TouchOSC.

It's ok to give help on that matter, but you have to realize that I don't maintain this software, therefore I am not in control of what happens with the updates (please see http://www.osculator.net/forum/threa...ease-read-this!!!)

I just tried with an empty OSCulator document and TouchOSC 1.8 with the layout Beatmachine. There was no problem to find the published host "mycomputer:8000 (OSCulator)" in the OSC panel.

Changing the setting of the MIDI Bridge in TouchOSC should not affect how it sends data to OSCulator.
            Also, I would refrain you to use IP addresses, it is more complicated to configure and more prone to doing errors.

When you say that the "found host" has disappeared, It reminds me of an old problem with Bonjour on 10.5.x systems. Perhaps you should try to configure TouchOSC with your iPhone/iPad and computer freshly rebooted.

If that still does not work, have a look at how both the computer and the mobile device are connected to the Wifi network. Is this a computer-to-computer network created on your computer ? (as it is recommended for using TouchOSC). Or is it using a router ? Is there a firewall. In fact you need to isolate what has changed between the time your configuration was working and now.

Best,
            Cam
            Cam

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, I have changed my router since the last time it worked so the problem probably lies here.

I'll check on this later today.

Merci bcp,
            S

Comment

Originally posted by synth_hero View Post
              Cam

Thanks for your quick reply. Yes, I have changed my router since the last time it worked so the problem probably lies here.

I'll check on this later today.

Cam

After switching off my router and freshly rebooting, I was able to make OSCulator work with TouchOSC using a computer-to-computer network. This restricted network is anyway more practical for live playing :-)

Thanks again for your time and help.
              Much appreciated,
              S

Comment

Excellent !

Comment

Working...
                X